About Business and Finance Department
The Business and Finance Department provides support in the following areas: Accounts Payable, Budgeting, Cash Management, Compliance, Inventory, Investments, Local School Accounting, Payroll, Policies, Purchasing, Reporting, and Training.
The staff of the Birmingham City Schools Business and Finance Department wants to honor our community's values and priorities as demonstrated through sound financial practices. The Business and Finance Department supports the district's mission to guide all students to achieve excellence in a safe, secure and nurturing environment by designing and using business practices that are easy to understand, making the best use of taxpayer dollars and meeting the needs of our customers in the schools and departments. Our core values mirror those of the District. We believe in serving our schools and departments through modeling our commitment to our core values of excellence, integrity, respect, diversity, compassion and teamwork.
The mission of our department is to provide students and staff with quality, cost-effective materials, supplies and services; to pay our employees and vendors in a timely and accurate manner; to communicate both our financial plan and results of operations to the Board of Education and the community; and to allocate resources equitably to insure that monies follow the needs of students in a way that:
- respects and encourages customer feedback,
- encourages collaborative decision making, open and frequent communication and mutual respect of individuals,
- empowers, involves and recognizes the worth of all employees,
- fosters community cooperation and involvement,
- ensures legal compliance,
- utilizes data-driven decision making.
In order to ensure:
- customer needs are met or exceeded,
- excellence is valued,
- employees are respected,
- team spirit and pride is established,
- business and community support is developed.