The Birmingham City Schools science initiative will target the science performance of our students by:
- Providing standards-based, hands-on, inquiry-centered instruction to all students.
- Implementing research-based professional development programs that prepare all science teachers to guide students in inquiry-centered science.
- Implementing a support system for supplying science materials and apparatus to classrooms.
- Providing assessment methods consistent with the goals of an inquiry-centered science program.
- Increasing opportunities for students to select more rigorous science courses like Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, Pre-AP courses, genetics, and Research Internships to be career and college ready by the end of 12th grade.
- Exposing students to extended learning opportunities by partnering or utilizing the McWane Science Center, Ruffner Mountain, Birmingham Botanical Gardens, Southern Museum of Flight, 4-H Center and other community entities.
- Providing opportunities for research internships with scientist from area universities, colleges and industry providing an authentic real -world learning experience for students and teachers.