Carver High School
Teacher: Mrs. T. Bracy
The grades 9-12 Health Education course encompasses the eight comprehensive health components and focuses on the application and mastery of developing health-enhancing skills. Health instruction is addressed in a way that allows students to obtain, interpret, and apply basic health information to their daily lives. Students will develop skills for assessing health information, products, and services for current and future health needs. They will also distinguish between positive and negative impacts of family, culture, mass media, and technology on health. In addition, students will gain knowledge of global environmental issues, learn to administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and other first aid procedures, and gain an understanding of the importance of recognizing, avoiding, and reporting types of abuse.
- Students are expected to be RESPECTFUL of the rights of others. Raise your hand before speaking. Remain quiet while others are talking. Refrain from putting your head on your desk! KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF!!!
- Students are expected to follow the school rules and policies (Student Handbook). Be properly attired in school uniform!!
- Students should be on time for class, and in their assigned seat before the tardy bell rings. They should not be hanging around outside the door!!!
- Students are expected to be present daily for class. Make sure that you have all of your materials for class (including pencil and paper)!!!
- No cell phones or other electronic devices are to be visually seen in class. This includes texting, listening to music, etc. Cell phones and other electronic devices should be kept turned off and out of SIGHT!!!!
- Eating food or candy, or drinking in class is not ALLOWED!!!! Students should use the restroom and get water before coming to class. NO PASSES OUT FOR ANY REASON ONCE CLASS STARTS!!!!
- Use your time wisely!! Start all assignments promptly. Quality class work should be submitted on time. Late assignments will be penalized.
- Defiance by a student will NOT BE TOLERATED!!!!! Bullying of another student will not be tolerated!!! Behavioral problems will result in reprimand!!
- Students are responsible for cleaning their work area before leaving class.
- Using profanity is unacceptable in class. Horse playing, talking out in class, or joking around is not allowed in class.
- Expect yourself to SUCCEED!!! If you don’t understand, or need help with an assignment, ASK FOR HELP!!!!
- Daily attendance is very important!! Please adhere to classroom rules. A student must bring a signed excuse (doctor or guardian) in order to make up an assignment. They will have 3 days to make up the missed assignment. If an assignment is not excused or made up, the student will receive a zero for that assignment. Oral quizzes may not be made up. It is the student’s responsibility to ask for make-up work.
- Cheating off another student or talking during a test will result in a zero for all guilty parties.
Loose leaf notebook paper
Blue or black ink pen
Folder with prongs (you will be told what color for the class)
- Chapter Exams – Written & Demonstrations 20%
- Daily class work and participation 10%
- Health notebook check/Writing notebook check 10%
- Quizzes 15%
- Group presentations 15%
- Health research paper or Small Group Projects 30%
****Nine weeks grade is 40% of semester grade****
****Final exam is 20% of semester grade****
Health Topics Covered:
- Personal Health & Wellness
- Skeletal & Muscular System
- First Aid
- Tobacco/Alcohol/Drugs & Medicines
- Reproductive System
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Communicable Diseases
- Healthy Relationships – Communication