The mission of Birmingham City Schools is to guide all students to achieve excellence in a safe, secure, and nurturing environment.
The goal of the Mathematics Department is to develop and implement curriculum that is scientifically research based and aligned with national, state, and local standards in order to improve student achievement. The department believes that a comprehensive, high quality, mathematics education enables students to increase their mathematical literacy in understanding mathematical principles and further enhances mathematical fluency that is essential for success in the 21st century. In support of this goal the department provides ongoing professional growth opportunities for all teachers of mathematics, thereby creating an educational environment of mathematics excellence within all the district's school.
Standards for Mathematical Practice
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.