Woodlawn High School is a large magnet high school serving approximately 857 students in the Woodlawn neighborhood of Birmingham, Alabama (USA) and is part of the Birmingham City Schools system.
The mascot is the Colonels, and the school colors are (forest) dark green and gold.
Woodlawn High School was established in 1916 after Woodlawn was annexed into Birmingham. The present building on 1st Avenue North, designed by architect Harry B. Wheelock, was completed in January 30, 1922.
A large mural in the high school's auditorium was painted between 1934 and 1939 by Sidney van Sheck and Richard Blauvelt Coe for the Works Progress Administration.
Woodlawn's JROTC program has been active since 1922 and has started the military careers of numerous officers in the U.S. Military.
- Bobby Bowden, former Florida State Football Coach.
- Mike Hale, Jefferson County Sheriff
- Oliver Robinson, basketball player, Alabama Legislator
- Bobby Humphrey, former Birmingham Steeldogs Coach
- Mickey Newsome, CEO and President of Hibbetts Sporting Goods
- Paul Hemphill, author
- Jim Carns, Alabama Legislature
- Karlos Dansby, NFL Pro football player
- Ricky Smiley, comedian, actor, and radio host
- Tony Nathan, pro football player and coach
Hail, dear old Woodlawn High, noble and strong
To thee with loyal hearts we raise our song;
Swelling to heav'n aloud, our praises ring:
Hail, dear old Woodlwan High, to thee we sing.
Go Woodlawn Colonels, win this game tonight
Make us proud of those Colonels!
Gold and Green, and White! Go! Fight! Fight!
We're the Woodlawn Colonels
We say we're the best!
Our sportsmanship and spirit
makes us stand out over all the rest!