Avondale School is accredited by the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges. It was established and built in 1923 to serve the neighboorhood and community in grades K-5. The original structure included classrooms, cafeteria, a gym and an auditorium. Avondale was renovated in 2001-2002.
The school's location, in the historic section of Forest Park, has generated excellent support from alumni, local businesses and community members who have a compelling desire to maintain the excellence of their neighborhood school.