TO SEE THE VIKINGS GO TO:
Steve Ward, a former Alabama A&M standout, has spent the last 14 years at the helm of the Huffman Vikings.
Ward was born and raised in Birmingham, Al, and received his Diploma from Ramsay Alternative High School, where he also played prep school basketball under the instruction of local legend, the late Willie Scoggins Jr. In his senior season, Ward helped lead the Rams to a 20-9 regular season and a berth in post-season play. He was Honorable Mention for the Class of 1997 and a member of the Magic City Classic All-Tournament Team.
As a collegiate player, Ward was a four-year letterman at Alabama A&M from 1999-2002. During his senior season with the Bulldogs, he averaged 14.1 points per game and 6 rebounds while also scoring over 1,000 points for his career in Division 1. He was the team’s co-captain from 2000-2002, 2002 All-SWAC Conference Selection, 2002 Jerry A. Davis Jr. Leadership Award Recipient and a member of the Bulldog 1,000 Point Club.
Ward started his coaching career as an assistant basketball coach at Ramsay High School. In 2005 he became the head basketball coach at Hayes High School. At Hayes, Ward had the opportunity to coach Kentucky standout Eric Bledsoe, now with the NBA Phoenix Suns and Murray State standout Edward Daniel.
Ward is entering his 15th season as Huffman’s Head Coach.
Steve Ward Profile
• 2006 City Champion
• 8 Area Championships
• 8 Sub-Region Appearances
• 5 North East Region Appearances
• 2009-2010 North East Metro Coach of the Year
• 2015 USA Basketball Licensed Coach
• 2015-2016 North East Regional Championship
• 2015-2016 Final Four Appearance
• 2015-2016 Birmingham Athletic Partnership Coach of the Year
• 2017-2018 Birmingham Tip-off Club Coach of the Year
* 2018-2019 North East Regional Runner-up
* 2019-2020 Class 6A AHSAA State Champions