Welcome to the 2020-2021 School Year!!
The Mission of Birmingham City Schools’ Counseling Program:
To provide a balanced comprehensive school counseling program that provides services to promote student success. It involves school counselors working in conjunction with parents, teachers and other school personnel and community agencies. Through comprehensive school counseling programs of developmental, preventive and responsive services, school counselors address academic development, career development and the personal/social development of students. These essential counseling programs are consistent from kindergarten through high school.
Your Elementary School Counselor
- Holds individual brief counseling sessions with students.
- Holds small group counseling sessions based on student needs.
- Teaches monthly guidance lessons on different topics.
- Meets with teachers, parents, and families regarding concerns.
- Provides information on community resources for families.
- Provides support during crisis
How does a student see the Counselor?
- Self-referral by the student
- Parent or Teacher referral
- Administrative referral
- Counselor observation
Monthly lessons presented by the counselor are focused on helping students be successful both inside and outside of the classroom setting.
Topics covered by the counselor are also reinforced by the teachers.
Possible Topics Include:
- Study Skills
- Safe and Healthy Bodies
- Career Development
- Kindness and Goodwill
- Making Responsible Decisions/Goal Setting
- Anger Management
- Community Helpers (K-2)
- Test Taking (3-5)
- Friendship/Conflict Resolution
During the school year, all students will be encouraged to focus on different character traits that will help them to become productive citizens in a global society.
August- September: Responsibility
When should You contact your child’s School Counselor?
- Academic Concerns
- Family Transitions
(ex: death, divorce, new sibling, etc.)
- Behavioral and Emotional Concerns
- Transitioning to a new school
- Extended School Absences (ex.: hospital stay, chronic illnesses, etc.)
Box Tops for Education
Please help the counseling department purchase supplies by saving Box Tops.
Box Tops can be turned into the teacher or the counselor.
Pamela Rogers, Ed.S & Barbara Moon
Glen Iris Elementary School
1115 11th Street South
Birmingham, Al 35205