On behalf of the staff at William James Christian, I am happy to welcome you to the 2019-2020 school year! We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure our children can achieve their highest potential. We recognize that in order to be successful in school, our children need support from both the home and school. We know a strong partnership with you will make a great difference in your child’s education. As partners, we share the responsibility for our children’s success and want you to know that we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities. We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that he/she:
1) Attends school daily and arrives on time, ready for the day’s learning experience
2) Completes all homework assignments given by teachers
3) Reads daily to develop a love for reading and to improve literacy skills
4) Shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life
5) Informs you if he/she needs additional support in any area or subject
6) Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school and go on to college/Career
Starting October 14, 2019 we will be reading The Giver by Lois Lowry. Students will need to have their own personal copy of the book each and everyday in class. It is the students responsibility to keep up with his/her book (our class assignments, homework and other activities will come from the text). We will be working from this book during the second nine weeks of school. PLEASE PURCHASE THE BOOK THAT IS PICTURED (DO NOT PURCHASE ANY OTHER VERSION OF THE BOOK). A slightly used copy of the book can be purchased for as little as a $1.00 from
or your local book store.
Please remember if your child bring an electronic device to school and miss use the privilege they will no longer be allowed to bring it to school. They will be required to have a hard copy of the text. Students will need their book in class on October 14, 2019 (the first day of the 2nd Nine Weeks). If you have any questions please contact me. Thanks in advance.
Please do not wait until the last minute to order this book.