BBOE Update: July 2, 2019
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- (July 3, 2019) -- The Birmingham Board of Education unanimously approved the consent agenda at the regularly scheduled board meeting on Tuesday, July 2, 2019.
Mayor Randall Woodfin invited BBOE members and Superintendent Lisa Herring to the grand opening of a new DC BLOX facility in Birmingham on Thursday, July 11, 2019, at 4 p.m. DC BLOX builds data centers nearer to consumers in growing cities, provides cloud services to support hybrid IT environments, and connects everything with high-performance networks to ensure business continuity, according to the organization's website.
Woodfin said approximately $167 million is being directly invested into the site. Additionally, the site will bring $1.5 million directly to BCS according to Woodfin.
Dr. Kristi Bradford, executive director of the Better Basics, presented an update surrounding the program. She invited board members to participate in Better Basics’ Birmingham Reads Day set for Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 1 p.m.
The board approved the following items:
- Math 180 for Green Acres Middle School
- MOU between Birmingham City Schools and the University of Alabama at Birmingham
- MOU between Birmingham City Schools and University of Alabama Early College
Arrington Elementary School Library Media Center Books
Bush Hills STEAM Academy Library Media Center Books
Online Registration Services
- ITB #2018-26, Band Instruments-Districtwide
- ITB #2019-02, Special Education Services
- Contract with Impact Family Counseling
- Lakeshore Learning
- Smith Middle School Electrical Main Electrical Panel Replacement
- Grounds Maintenance Services
The following donations were made to BCS:
- Birmingham Board of Education Teacher of the Year Gala in the amount of $2,500.00 from Birmingham Education Foundation for the Teacher of the Year Gala.
- Washington K-8 School in the amount of $50,000.00 from Navigate Affordable Housing Partners for the Birmingham Kids and Jobs Program.
Community members voiced various concerns and offered suggestions during community voice.
A financial presentation was made by interim CFO Crystal Briggs regarding Financial Statement and Cash Balance for May 2019.Next Meetings:
- Work Session - Tuesday, July 23, 2019, at 5:30 p.m.
- Board Meeting - Tuesday, August 13, 2019, at 5:30 p.m.
Download the all new Birmingham City Schools App to view information, news, jobs and more.